In 1995, Liz Earle and co-founder Kim Buckland set out on a very special journey. Brimming with ideas, hopes and dreams they spent many a night sending faxes from their homes, laying the foundations for a truly great British brand. Twenty-two years later, and Liz Earle is well known in beauty circles, with one product in particular earning its place in the proverbial hall of beauty fame – Cleanse & Polish™ Hot Cloth Cleanser. Back in 1999, British Vogue heralded it as a classic for the new millennium and their prediction couldn’t have been more accurate, as our iconic cleanser has now been presented with 125 awards (and counting!). No matter whether you’re one of our treasured customers or perhaps are still yet try it, we’ve listed our favourite things about this skincare superhero that we think you should know…
Five fun reasons to love Cleanse & Polish™
- 1 Cleanse & Polish™ is sold every 20 seconds across the globe
- It’s a celebrity and beauty editor favourite
- It’s been presented with 125 awards – and counting
- In a 1999 edition of Vogue, it was heralded as a classic for the new millennium
- It’s easy on the eyes – and we don’t just mean the packaging!
- The rich, luxurious cream turns cleansing from a chore into a ritual
Watch and learn: How to use Cleanse & Polish™
Top tips for acing your application
When polishing off Cleanse & Polish™, be careful to use water that’s not too hot. Cleansing at a comfortable temperature is more gentle on your complexion, and will feel more soothing.
Giving yourself a gentle facial massage when you apply Cleanse & Polish™ is also a brilliant way to get the most out of our hero cleanser while revealing a natural-looking glow. Check out these easy techniques from our Treatment Ambassador, Abigail James, below:
- Using finger pads of all your fingers together, massage small firm outwards circles from the center of your forehead out to the temples. Repeat 3 times.
- Using the same movement, massage along your jawline from the chin towards the ears with a firm pressure to relieve jaw tension. Repeat 6 times.
- Using both hands, alternately glide your palms up from the jaw, over the cheekbones to temples, firmly lifting the cheeks on one side of the face and then the other. Draw circles with fingertips on both cheeks, working upwards and outwards towards the ears. This will help encourage a healthy-looking glow.
For extra skin-smoothing power, why not mix a pump of Gentle Face Exfoliator with a pump of Cleanse & Polish™, and massage onto skin using circular motions (avoiding the eye area). It will really help give dull skin that extra boost while gently buffing away dead skin cells, and acts as the perfect wake-up call in the morning or as pre-party skin prep!
The best of nature, for you
The way we source ingredients for Cleanse & Polish™ is of monumental importance to us. Carefully curated botanicals are at the heart of every formulation, and our team go above and beyond to make sure that the brand is doing all it can to improve its environmental impact – we even have our own In-house Environmental Advisor, Geoff Day. We also work super closely with James Wong, our brilliant Ethnobotanist, who searches the globe for the highest quality naturally active ingredients to include in our range.
We’re also passionate about responsibly sourcing, and our botanical and formulation experts work to balance factors such as performance, sustainability and ethics to determine which source to use. For example, we have teamed up with local communities in West Africa who supply us with cocoa butter, a key part of our Cleanse & Polish™ formula. Famous for its excellent emollient properties, the fermented beans of the cocoa tree are roasted, cracked and ground to give a powdery solid called cocoa mass, from which cocoa butter is pressed.
Alongside cocoa butter to soften, smooth and moisturise, our multi award-winning formula is also enriched with rosemary, chamomile and eucalyptus to tone, soothe and purify, allowing our rich, indulgent cream to deeply cleanse and instantly remove daily grime, pollutants and make up. What more could your skin want?!
The Liz Earle Team x